Friday, March 13, 2009

the session....

The session has such an interesting dynamic. Really it's just one big game. It's all about who you know and how good your relationship is with them. The session is all about hurrying up and then you wait and wait and wait.

I have waited for hours upon hours for bills to come out of Rules and it just sat there, in fact there are still about 12 bills sitting in rules that I am following.

Bills have been circled for days and with the stroke of magic it suddenly has appeared on the floor and voted on within minutes.

I have seen bills discussed for over an hour.

I have seen leadership bills that have failed, because it truly is one big game. And within a couple of hours, this same bill has come back to life and passed the floor almost unanimously.

I have seen members of both parties fight for what they believe is right.

I have seen lobbyists give their all and their bills have failed. I have seen lobbyists give their all and their bills have passed.

I have witnessed love for associations.

I have seen hard work.

I have seen back-door negotiations.

I have met incredible people that are truly making a difference, even though it may be small.

I have seen naivety.

I have seen fights between legislators.

I have seen tears in caucuses by men who rarely cry.

I have witnessed miracles.

I have been astonished by legislators.

I have seen gratitude for a 9% budget cut.

I have made great friends.

I have loved every minute.

My eyes are tired.

I have learned. And will keep learning.

I have found my passion for what I believe truly matters.

I am thankful for my job and all those who are involved.

The session is over.


2 comments:

Barb said...

Amen to that! It really is such a unique process that one cannot truly appreciate until it is personally experienced.

Leigh said...

Hey just stumbled on your blog, and had no idea we share the passion of politics! We really should chat sometime.

"words, words, words"

Shakespeare