Sunday, July 10, 2011

Berlin

Berlin, Berlin. I think Berlin might be my favorite new city. Berlin, especially East Berlin, is full of so much history. I was amazed by every part of the city, it seemed as if every part of the city has some important history behind it.

To remember the wall, there is now stones in the ground marking where the wall once stood.

Checkpoint Charlie, the most famous checkpoint station.

There is a one mile stretch of the wall that artist have painted. This was one of my favorite murals. I never knew that there were two walls, this portrait portrays the two walls perfectly. I learned that many people died getting caught between the two walls.

This is the Holocaust Memorial. It really is stunning. The artist created this memorial for each person to interpret. I can't really describe the monument.

This was Hitler's bunker where he committed suicide. The bunker is apparently still under the parking lot. The German government made this site into nothing important for a reason.

Here is a part of the wall. It's amazing.

I loved this statue. This statue represents all the mothers that lost their children war. This sculpture is directly under the oculus, it is exposed to the rain, snow and sunlight, symbolizing the suffering of civilians during World War II.

We went on a bike tour around the city. It was awesome.

Mitch with his sweet beard in front of Checkpoint Charlie.

1 comment:

Jess said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE BERLIN! So jealous!!

"words, words, words"

Shakespeare