Monday, April 21, 2008

Bitter-Sweet


My time in Washington D.C. is quickly coming to an end and usually when I end an experience, I have what one may say as a bitter-sweet feeling inside of me, but not this time. For the first time in a long time, I am ready for home. I am ready to stay in Utah for a little while, even though my time may only be one short month, I can hardly wait. I feel like I haven't been home for years and I am ready to come home and figure a few things out.

The best and worst part about coming home is graduation. Yes, I did already graduate in December 2007 when I handed in my 30 page thesis about the role of religion in Lithuania during the Communist era. At that moment, as I pushed my paper under Professor Judkin's door, I felt nothing but pure excitement, it was an end of an era. But I knew that I had D.C. waiting for me. Now as my D.C. experience comes to an end, I have no idea what lies for me in the future. I believe that the possibilities are endless. Each week I have a new plan, however this plan seems to only last days and I have changed my mind again. Here are a few of my ideas: Law School, Business School, PhD in Political Science, Investment Banker, flight attendant, a gardener, joining the Peace Corp, a professional reader (I wish), a financial representative for the state of Utah, working on the advance team for the administration, a letter writer, a staff assistant, a national forest employee, or working for the AIDS Foundation. As you can tell, I have lots of ideas, and not a single clue of what in the world I am going to do. So if any of you have ideas, please let me know. At this moment in time, I am really ready for just about anything.

Back to graduation, what exactly am I going to be celebrating? I was in college, but I feel as if my college years or the best of my college years were before my mission when I slept for just a few hours a night, was involved in every single association on campus, was in love with the U and still managed to pull-off decent grades. I was the most involved in school before my mission and since the end of my mission I was just in school. I was the normal commuter student involved only with the Alumni Association. So, I guess on Friday, May 2nd I will be celebrating the fact that I finished or maybe I should celebrate the fact that I don't have a real job yet. Don't worry Mom and Dad I will find a job I promise. Maybe I should celebrate that it's all over and it's time to move onto something new, scary, and exciting.

Since being in D.C. I have learned a lot about politics, but more than that I have learned that it will all work out eventually. I just have to keep on putting myself out there, keep on looking for something new, and keep on finding things to fall in love with and I will be happy. I have fallen in love with D.C. I love the Jefferson at night, I love the canal in Georgetown, I love the row boats on the Tidal Basin, I love the Metro when it goes to Virginia and the first thing you see is the city of D.C.-which stands for freedom, I love the National Cathedral, I love it when it rains and I wake-up to thunder, I love carrot cupcakes from Baked & Wired, I love Kramer's bookstore, I love running to the Mall past every single monument, I love that I saw a group of 100 protesters and 300 cops on Saturday, I love giving a tour at the Capitol and talking about Martin Luther King, Jr., I love the old man Ken that works in the basement of the Capitol, and I love so much more.

Since I got home from my mission, I have been living my life in four-month increments...four months of summer, fours months of school, four months of D.C. and now I am back just to where I started, four months of summer. I am excited to see what these next four months hold, it is like a big mystery and only time will tell. Life, what an adventure.

(As for the picture, this is a picture of the Nazi Protest I saw on Saturday in front of the Capitol celebrating Hitler's birthday. The craziest part was that there were Nazi protesters and anti-Nazi protesters and a million cops!)

3 comments:

Ang said...

All of those sound like wonderful plans! I'm so excited to see what you do!

Shawna Wilson said...

Hey Sara - it's Shawna Cox (now Wilson) I found your blog through Ali's and you look like you are having the time of your life! Just wanted to leave you a little note to say Hi and good luck with your many ideas!

Jess said...

We are excited to have you home for a while too. Laura, Christi and I were talking about your the other day. We miss you. I know you will find exactly what you need and the things you do never cease to amaze me. You have done everything and been everywhere and you are only 23! I'm a little jealous of everything you have done. Stacey said that when you get home that we should all go out to lunch. Call us when you get back.

"words, words, words"

Shakespeare