Tuesday, June 2, 2009

F A C T S about H E A L T H C A R E

This is what I learned at work so far today:

Medicare and Medicaid were created in 1965, the inception of the Children’s Health Insurance Program in 1997, the expansion of prescription drug coverage for seniors in 2003.

Democratic Members and staff of the Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor and Pensions – along with our colleagues at the Senate Finance Committee, the House of Representatives and the Administration – have been laying groundwork and preparing legislation to reform the U. S. health care system.

About 200 million Americans obtain health insurance today through their employers and the private health insurance market. About 80 million Americans get their coverage through federal and state health programs, chiefly Medicare and Medicaid.

Nearly 50 million Americans now lack health insurance, and tens of millions more hold policies – such as many sold in the individual market – that provide little real protection in the event of serious injury or illness.

To establish this new set of protections and assistance, citizens also need to play an important role. Any health insurance system, public or private, can’t workable and is more expensive if consumers wait until they get sick before signing up. That’s why national health reform requires that everyone who can afford to must sign up for coverage.

Ten million Americans need long-term services – personal care, assertive technology and other supportive services – a number that will increase to 26 million by 2050.

Are you covered?

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Healthcare gives me a headache. Last summer after I lost my coverage when I stopped teaching I looked for insurance options for our family all summer. This summer our rates have gone up so so so so much that I am yet again shopping for new insurance. It's a yearly event in our home. I have not been to the dr once this year and have paid nearly 200/month for my insurance. Seriously, it's driving me crazy!
I do appreciate your comments Sar.

"words, words, words"

Shakespeare